The Akai APC40 mkII is a hardware controller designed to work with Ableton Live software in a one-to-one integration, and makes significant improvements over the previous version.
A few of those include an RGB clip-launching grid, reinforced fader design, revised knob lay out, and more. The controller comes pre-mapped to Live for an instant performance and production setup.
The 5 x 8 RGB clip-launching grid is designed to launch clips and create or perform songs from the ground up using the forty responsive triggers. RGB lighting provides visual feedback and displays three clip statuses—loaded, playing, and recording. Clips can also be color-coded with the RGB lighting for better visual organization.
Nine assignable reinforced faders and eight assignable channel control knobs are arranged in-line with each channel for an intuitive layout and smarter workflow. The eight Device Control knobs make it easy to tweak device parameters and also light up to provide visual feedback from each parameter. In addition, the Sends button enables users to cycle through all eight send buses right from the controller.
The A/B crossfader has also been reworked and can be assigned and re-assigned without having to touch the mouse. All of controls can be re-assigned on the fly for customized setups that change with a performance or production style. USB power with plug-and-play connectivity allows for taking the unit from the studio to the stage or wherever.
A software music production suite includes Ableton Live, two virtual synthesizers—Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech and SONiVOX's Wobble, along with 5 GB of samples and loops for immediate out-of-the-box music creation. The Puremagnetik Effect Racks features over two hundred audio effects, while five Toolroom artist launch packs and five Prime Loops sample packs feature a mix of electronic music.
- Provides hands-on control of Ableton Live
- Seamlessly integrates one-to-one with Ableton Live
- 5 x 8 clip-launch matrix with RGB feedback for clip status and color coding
- Nine channel faders
- Eight control knobs
- Eight device controls interface with Ableton Live
- USB-powered and plug-and-play connectivity for Mac and PC
- Sends button for quick access to 8 send buses
- Assignable A/B crossfader for dynamic mixing on the fly
- Shift button and directional arrows manipulate the scope of the grid
- Revised knob layout with in-line controls for streamlined workflow
- Production package includes Ableton Live Lite with Puremagnetik Effect Racks, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech, SONiVOX Twist, Prime Loops sample packs, and Toolroom Records artist launch packs (downloads)
|Pads||5 x 8 clip-launch matrix with RGB feedback|
|Knobs||8 x assignable controller pots
8 x device control pots
|Other Controls||1 x A/B crossfader, assignable
1 x shift button
1 x 4-way bank select button
1 x tempo knob
1 x cue knob
70 x function/control switches
|Connectivity||1 x USB Type B
1 x 1/4" / 6.3 mm TS sustain pedal (pedal not included)
|Power Requirements||USB powered|
OS X 10.5 or later
2 GB RAM
Available USB port
Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8, and 10
2 GB RAM
Windows-compatible sound card (ASIO driver support recommended)
Available USB port
Version 9.1.3 or later
|Dimensions (WxDxH)||16.7 x 10.0 x 1.8" / 424 x 254 x 46 mm|
|Weight||4 lb / 1.8 kg|